- Gov. Kemp Urges Eligible Georgians in Southwest Region to Sign Up for Vaccination
- Online Day Trading Technology Showcase Hosted by TradeLog
- Rock Out Against Bullying Tour Comes to Atlanta All-Star Weekend
"A legend has fallen. Mr. Aaron was the true embodiment of the strength, perseverance, and resilience of African Americans across this nation," said Kevin Gooch, chairman of the 100 Black Men of Atlanta. "He became a national hero by ascending to the top of the mountain of America's pastime with 755 home runs."
Aaron was a beloved legacy member of the 100 Black Men of Atlanta since 1995. His contribution to the organization helped mentored thousands of young people throughout the Atlanta metro area.
Chairman Gooch continued, "his lasting impact made along with his loving wife, Billye, through his unrelenting service and dedication to his community by supporting college scholarships for vulnerable young people creating economic opportunities through his many business ventures and many, many other community endeavors."
More on Georgia Chron
- IVolunteer International achieves record impact in 2020 using tech-for-good
- Macon: Sheridan Construction joins #CleanStreetsMatter initiative
- The LAW and MK-2886 SARMs Bodybuilding Supplements. Are SARMs supplements legal?
- Chick-fil-A Vidalia Announces its 6th Annual Road Race Benefiting Community Nonprofit Ministry Orgs
- Pastor Tracy S. Williams Talks Sex and Relationships in Her Debut Book: THE GARDEN EXPERIENCE AN ABSTINENCE HANDBOOK FOR GIRLS
Henry "Hammerin' Hank" Aaron was born in Mobile, Alabama, on February 5, 1934. Aaron was one of eight children to his parents Herbert and Estella Aaron.
In 1951, Aaron began his historic baseball career as a shortstop for the Indianapolis Clowns in the segregated negro leagues. A few seasons later, Aaron was signed as a left fielder for the Milwaukee Braves which later moved to his long-time home of Atlanta in 1966.
Aaron was best known for passing Babe Ruth's all-time homerun record on April 8, 1974 and set a new one at 755; a record that lasted decades after his retiring.
"He will be sorely missed by all. May the Lord rest his soul. Job well done," stated chairman Gooch.
About 100 Black Men of Atlanta, Inc.
100 Black Men of Atlanta, Inc. is a non-profit organization providing college preparatory services and mentorship to at-risk, Atlanta youth through its flagship program Project Success. Since its inception in 1987, 100% of the students who complete Project Success have graduated from high school and 80% have graduated from college in four years, far outpacing the national averages.
More on Georgia Chron
- Sugaring: The Green Juice of Hair Removal
- Macon: Earth Day Festival moved to September
- Macon-Bibb E911 Team donates items to Brookdale Warming Center
- Macon: "The Warming Center doesn't just mean the heat…it means the heart."
- Ideanomics Announces Its Membership in CALSTART
Project Success is differentiated by the strength of its civic-minded mentors who comprise the membership of the organization. Members dedicate their time and talent to helping boys and girls break the cycles of poverty, under-achievement, and violence that plague their communities thus enabling them to seek their highest potential.
Visit www.100blackmen-atlanta.org for information and to make charitable contributions to Project Success.
Allison Joyner Enterprises
SOURCE 100 Black Men of Atlanta, Inc.
Filed Under: Business
Latest on Georgia Chron
- Thru-hikers Launch New Nature Streaming TV Channel for Nature Lovers
- Bronx DWI Lawyer Announces New Website
- Recording Artist "Cherne" Crystal Brown auditions for Sony Music, Atlantic Records and Capitol Records and it doesn't stop there
- Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms Announces Release of First Progress Update on One Atlanta: Housing Affordability Action Plan
- Technicolor HERO Partners Weigh in on Network Service Provider Trends Established in 2020 and Offer Views on What to Expect in 2021
- Revenue Analytics and LNER Named Winners of the Technical Innovation of the Year Award for Creating Groundbreaking Revenue Management Technology
- Honorary Oscar-Winner Charles Burnett brings his award winning film on COVID-19 / Black Hollywood to the Prestigious Pan African 2021 Film Festival
- City of Atlanta Launches Survey to Assess COVID-19 Impact on Immigrants, Communities of Color
- In a year of recession, Lantek closes 2020 with record sales figures and customer numbers
- Virios Therapeutics to Present at the H.C. Wainwright Global Life Sciences Conference in March 2021
- The Koedo Kawagoe Spring Festival Celebrates the Arrival of Springtime in Kawagoe, Japan
- Aaron's Energy: An Unexpected Journey Through Grief and the Afterlife With My Brilliant Son
- Ground-Up Flavor Company Offers A Delicious Reprieve For Scorched Palates!
- Henderson Named Partner at Atlanta Firm Watson Spence
- MC Residential Activates in the Wake of Texas Weather Crisis
- The Best SEO Company in New York City Is Proving Local Businesses Free SEO Audit As COVID-19 Relief
- Pulte Homes Debuts New Community in Fayetteville GA
- Fennemore Names New Office Managing Partners, Practice Group Leaders & Chief Diversity Officer
- Choosing the Right Property Management Company for You
- Wohler adds to their iVAM range with the launch of the iVAM2-2