55 Trinity Avenue, Suite 2500 • Atlanta, Georgia 30303
Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms Receives Distinguished Civil Rights Advocate Award from the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
ATLANTA –The Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights (LCCR) Under Law has awarded Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms the Distinguished Civil Rights Advocate Award in recognition of her equity-driven leadership to help guide and protect marginalized communities before and during one of the most tumultuous times in our nation's history. Named in honor of legendary Judge A. Leon Higginbotham Jr., LCCR's Higginbotham Corporate Leadership Awards event is one of the largest gatherings in the civil rights and legal community.
"Our Administration's vision for One Atlanta – an affordable, resilient and equitable city—drives each and every decision we make," said Mayor Bottoms. "As the cradle of the Civil Rights movement, this mission ensures that endless opportunity for all and the protection of our most vulnerable communities remains woven into our city's fabric. It is an honor to join a long list of distinguished and thoughtful leaders upon whom this distinguished honor has been bestowed."
The Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law is a civil rights organization founded in 1963 at the request of President John F. Kennedy. Its mission is to secure equal justice for all through the rule of law by enlisting the private bar's leadership. Since its creation, the Lawyers' Committee has served as an expert on civil rights matters, often testifying before Congress and issuing public statements on pressing civil rights challenges. The Lawyers' Committee also works tirelessly to target inequities that confront African Americans and other minorities.
More on Georgia Chron
- Georgia: Outdoor Network Announces Headquarters Expansion, New Advanced Manufacturing Facility in Albany
- The MOTIVATE US webinar series is about to start
- Loyal Announces $12.5 Million Round Led by Concord Health Partners
- 28-Year-Old Magical Nights of Lights Gives Way to Something New
- BeBop Sensors' Forte Data Glove Adds Haptic Interaction Support for Oculus 2 and Unreal Engine
The Distinguished Civil Rights Advocate Award is conferred upon an individual who has demonstrated an extraordinary commitment to advancing racial justice and civil rights. Mayor Bottoms is being recognized for her efforts to tear down systemic racism through the establishment of the City's first-ever Mayor's Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, known as One Atlanta.
One Atlanta has guided the City's policies and practices impacting eight critical areas. Mayor Bottoms has launched a number of programs and initiatives, and issued Administrative and Executive Orders to support the work of the One Atlanta Office:
- Affordable Housing (Emergency Rental Assistance Program for residents impacted by COVID-19) Criminal Justice Reform (Eliminated cash bail, stopped holding federal ICE detainees, and transforming the City Jail into a Center for Equity) Economic Development (One Atlanta: Economic Mobility, Recovery and Resiliency Plan —a comprehensive plan to ensure economic and quality-of-life security for Atlanta residents and businesses) Health Disparities (Administrative Order to address the alarming racial and ethnic health disparities underscored by the COVID-19 pandemic) Homelessness (Executive Order instituting a temporary moratorium on residential evictions and filings) LGBTQ Affairs (Appointed first-ever full-time LGBTQ Affairs coordinator, and recently hosted inaugural Virtual LGBTQ Opportunity Fair) Workforce Development (Merged WorkSource Atlanta with Invest Atlanta to better align efforts to help Atlantans build intergenerational wealth through good jobs) 2020 Census: ATL Counts (Launched an aggressive citywide outreach campaign to target underserved and undercounted individuals and families)
More on Georgia Chron
- LYRIC names Toni Newman as New Interim Executive Director and Jodi Schwartz as President
- BitRouter Announces Dihedral Software Release for its ATSC3pro Receiver at NAB Show New York
- Beazer Homes USA, Inc. to Webcast Its Fourth Quarter and Full Year Fiscal 2020 Financial Results Conference Call on November 12, 2020
- Braeden Lichti - What's Next for the Healthcare Sector?
- Are You Taking Your Health Seriously?
The award is also in recognition of Mayor Bottoms' distinguished leadership in confronting the COVID-19 health crisis and addressing the stark and disproportionate impact of the pandemic on communities of color.
The City of Atlanta continues to provide relief for residents and businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition to a series of other actions, the City recently launched an Emergency Rental Assistance program, which provides $22 million through the Coronavirus Relief Fund to keep renters in their homes. The program is administered by the United Way of Greater Atlanta and will provide rental, utility, or security deposit assistance to more than 6,700 eligible Atlanta residents.
A comprehensive list of actions taken by Mayor Bottoms during the COVID-19 pandemic can be found online here.
For more information on additional resources related to COVID-19, please visit the ATLStrong website here.
For more information about the City of Atlanta, please visit www.atlantaga.gov or watch City Channel 26. Follow the City of Atlanta on Facebook and Twitter @CityofAtlanta.
Latest on Georgia Chron
- The Joseph Company International Announces Expansion of Self-Chilling / Chill On Demand™ Packaging Innovations
- C&D | The Agency to Launch with #ExerciseYourRights Voter Education Initiative
- Itero Group LLC Fortune 100 Best Small Company
- Search Discovery Announces Launch of Apollo: The World's First Analytics Management System
- The Business Conference for Women of Color, MogulCon, Celebrates 5 Years
- PSXDigital Unveils Marketing Automation 360 to Accelerate Powersports Dealership Success
- Artelon Expands Leadership in Ankle Stability with FLEXBAND™ SOLO and ATL Anchoring Systems
- SENTA Partners Completes 3rd Affiliation in Two Months Through Partnership With Valdosta ENT
- Rockbrash Promotions Announces French Edition Release of My Brother, Muhammad Ali
- The new version 2.0 - OffshoreCorpTalk got an upgrade!
- Chip Wade on Home Improvement Projects for Fall on Tips on TV Blog
- FocalPoint Welcomes Certified Business Coach Jason Goldberg
- Atlanta: Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms Creates Anti-Displacement Tax Fund to Strengthen Homeownership for Legacy Residents
- Alfred Street Baptist Church Donates Over $ 1 Million to Community-Based Organizations & National Nonprofits Through Their Tithe the Tithe Initiative
- Boys & Girls Clubs Of America To Host Racial Equity & Social Justice Virtual Town Hall Tuesday
- Buy Website Traffic - Get Targeted Quality Traffic - Real Human Website Traffic
- Carter's, Inc. to Report Third Quarter Fiscal 2020 Results on Friday, October 23, 2020
- Brushwood Media Group Presents "Awaken with Tim & Shannon"
- National School Bus Safety Week (Oct. 19–23) Promotes Safety Aspects of Yellow School Bus
- PicPocket-Labs, Inc. receives Notice of Allowance for US and Chinese patent applications for geofence-based drone control