- Macon: Clean Streets Matter Community Cleanup this weekend!
- Macon: Booker T. Washington Community Center reopens to serve the public
- Indiana Roadside Markers on YouTube
55 Trinity Avenue, Suite 2500 • Atlanta, Georgia 30303
City of Atlanta Installs New Bronze Sculptures Honoring Local Civil Rights Heroes
ATLANTA — The City of Atlanta installed four new benches featuring life-size bronze sculptures of local Civil Rights leaders Dr. Rita Samuels, Dorothy Bolden, Rev. Hosea Williams and W.A. Scott. The benches will reside along Martin Luther King, Jr., Drive. in front of Mozley Park. The latest pieces are the second of seven public art installations commissioned for the City's $3.7 million MLK Innovation Corridor Project and celebrate Atlanta's legacy and global influence in the Civil Rights movement.
"Designated spaces and art installations such as these provide a permanent space to reflect on the efforts of those who came before us, and what we can do to further the ongoing work of ensuring equality and dignity for all," said Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms. "The MLK Corridor Project is a perfect example of the City, its residents and partners working together to improve and preserve the great legacy of our communities."
Created by renowned sculptor David Alan Clark, the artworks were selected by a committee with representatives from the Mayor's Office of Cultural Affairs (OCA), the Mozley Park community and local artists after a national call for artists in January 2018.
"These sculptures celebrate four amazing local leaders and their unique stories," said Camille Russell Love, Executive Director of the Mayor's Office of Cultural Affairs. "The Mayor's Office of Cultural Affairs is excited to bring these world-class artworks to the City and memorialize the legacy of the Civil Rights movement."
More on Georgia Chron
- Georgia Administers 5 Million COVID-19 Vaccines
- Georgia: TeamViewer to Open Atlanta Office to Support Enterprise Software Customer Growth
- Virios Therapeutics, Inc. Interview to Air on Bloomberg Television U.S. on the RedChip Money Report
- Singer, Songwriter, Pianist, Isabel Marcheselli Garners Generous Grant Support
- CAMS and Integral Sell Remaining Parcels of Former GM Plant Site
The MLK Corridor Project, managed by the City of Atlanta's Department of Transportation (ATLDOT), spans approximately 7.2 miles from Northside Drive to Fulton Industrial Boulevard. This project addresses vehicular, ADA and pedestrian safety concerns, while providing additional pedestrian and bicycle access by implementing new multi-use trails.
A portion of the project, from Ollie Street to Northside Drive, is substantially complete, with the remainder of the project from Ollie Street to Fulton Industrial Boulevard expected to be completed by spring 2021. Work also includes a protected bike and pedestrian facility from James P. Brawley Drive to Northside Drive.
"The MLK Corridor is an outstanding representation of the complete street concept of urban infrastructure design and the City of Atlanta's Vision Zero commitment," said ATLDOT Commissioner Josh Rowan. "The corridor employs a variety of transportation improvements – resurfacing, restriping, signalized pedestrian crossings, bicycle lanes, medians and landscaping — to reduce accidents and improve the quality of life for area residents."
The artworks will join the City's Public Art Collection on Friday, Feb. 26, 2021. A celebratory event to recognize the improvements to the corridor and public art additions is forthcoming.
About OCA: The vision and mission of City of Atlanta's Mayor's Office of Cultural Affairs is to promote rich, diverse, and educational cultural experiences; nurture artists and arts organizations; unify Atlanta's cultural community through access to the arts; preserve and protect the city's cultural heritage; and expand Atlanta's international reputation as a cultural destination.
More on Georgia Chron
- International Fine and Decorative Art Auction April 24-25
- #1 Billboard Jazz Artist Ski Johnson to Release 10th Studio Album and Tell All Movie
- NBMBAA® Names Shawn Graham as Chief Financial Officer
- PocketSuite Partners With ShearShare to Help Stylists Boost Business
- The Anderson Group Real Estate Services' New Concierge Program Aims To Help Nashville-area Homeowners Sell For Top Dollar
About ATLDOT: The Atlanta Department of Transportation serves as both the coordinating agency for all transportation matters within the city, and as the single point of contact on transportation related matters for citizens and external agencies. ATLDOT's goal is to provide a safer, more equitable, and more sustainable transportation network throughout the city.
For more information about the City of Atlanta, please visit www.atlantaga.gov or watch City Channel 26. Follow the City of Atlanta on Facebook and Twitter @CityofAtlanta.
Latest on Georgia Chron
- CareerEco Announces Queue Feature—A Candidate Waitlist Optimization Tool
- Mencom Introduces New 1 3/8" PMIN Power Series Field Wireable Connectors
- Georgia: Gov. Kemp: $8.43 Billion, 24,000+ Jobs from Economic Development Projects During First Three Quarters of Fiscal Year
- Georgia: Applications Open for Families of Children with Special Needs Reimbursement
- Winners of Leopold's Ice Cream 11th Annual Creative Writing Challenge Honored at City Hall
- Anthology of Award-Winning Books Explores Global Concerns in a Child-friendly Format
- Paradigm Technology Group Joins The Evolve IP Partner Program
- Delirious Comedy Club Presents Pauly Shore Every Friday Night In April
- PADT Named EOS Metal 3D Printing Distribution Partner Across the Southwest, Expanding its Established Additive Manufacturing Products Offering
- Deb Hoffmann, Guinness World Record Holder for Largest Winnie the Pooh Collection, Shatters 20,000-Item Ceiling
- Histria Books announces the release of Molly – A Love Story to help support animal shelters
- Alithya Sponsors Executive Financial Services Survey on Digital Transformation
- Carter's Launches First Children's Clothing Recycling Program With TerraCycle®
- Author's Stunning Coming of Age Novel Wins Multiple Literary Awards
- Cyble Appoints Maxim Mitrokhin, Ex-MD Kaspersky Lab, to Expand Footprint in Apac
- JetQuay Launches Private Swab Test Facility, Halves Custom Clearance Timing
- Rollins, Inc. Board Director Henry B. Tippie To Retire
- Vision Zero: New 25 mph Speed Limit Signs Installed Across Atlanta
- Georgia: First Lady Marty Kemp, Attorney General Chris Carr Release New PSA
- National Association of Tax Professionals hires new manager of state chapter activity