- Gospel Charting Artist Jeremiah Nedu Is On The Rise With New Single "Your Mercy"
- Rent-A-Center opens store in Riverdale, Georgia
- Distinguished New York Trial Attorney and Author Donates Book Proceeds to NYU Cancer Research Center
The NDSA will increase the number of Black people earning data science credentials by at least 20,000 by 2027 and expand data science research that advocates for social justice and strive to eliminate bias. To accomplish this visionary goal, the NDSA will facilitate engagement across all HBCUs with industry and academic collaboration to broaden participation and advance social justice in data science.
"This is a monumental accomplishment for the HBCU community as a whole, and we at Clark Atlanta University are deeply honored to perpetuate institutional mission through data science," said President George T. French Jr., Ph.D. "Clark Atlanta University has deep roots in conducting data science research that promotes equity, including the seminal works of scholar and former faculty member W.E.B. Du Bois on these hallowed grounds. This historic award exemplifies our commitment to ensuring competitive advantage for students to succeed and excel in our data-driven society."
More on Georgia Chron
- InventHelp Inventor Develops New Game for Billiard Tables (FJK-158)
- Let's Finally Meet The Man That Fronts The Grammy Nominated Artist "Special Request Ft Rey T."
- Macon: Cadence Bank donates to Brookdale Resource Center
- Macon: Staff Spotlight: Robert McCord
- Georgia: Gov. Kemp Dedicates $240M for New Grant Program to Expand High-Speed Internet, Help Close Digital Divide
Talitha Washington, the lead and principal investigator of the grant, is the mastermind behind the NDSA. As the Director of the Atlanta University Center (AUC) Data Science Initiative and professor of mathematics at Clark Atlanta University, she is passionate about engaging more HBCUs and building a community to accelerate the preparation of students in data science and discover solutions for data-oriented problems that impact the lives of Blacks.
"We are excited that many HBCUs will collaborate with us to develop new equity-based discoveries in data science and expand student pathways that will change the face of data science," said Washington.
The NDSA is supported by the AUC Consortium, led by Michael Hodge, with industry-university collaboration led by Moses Garuba (Howard University) and collective impact efforts led by H. Justin Ballenger (Morehouse College). The NDSA's three regional hubs are led by LaTanya Brown-Robertson (Howard University), Sajid Hussain (Fisk University), and Eric Mintz (Clark Atlanta University). The evaluation will be conducted by Kavita Mittapalli (MN Associates).
The NDSA will catalyze systemic change at scale by engaging over 1,000 HBCU faculty and will create equity-based data science ecosystems where all students can learn and thrive.
SOURCE Clark Atlanta University
Filed Under: Business
Latest on Georgia Chron
- Macon: EMA to host first Emergency Preparedness Fair
- Healthy Savannah Calls on Community to Weigh in on Nutrition and Food Insecurity
- Center Parc Credit Union presents a $3500 donation for Ready Set Go Back to School event
- Hoy to Keep Your Life Productive by Ismail Sirdah
- How to Choose the Best Bamboo Cheese Board for Your Kitchen
- Georgia: Gov. Kemp: Workwear Retailer Duluth Trading Company Creates More Than 300 New Jobs in Bartow County
- National Vision Announces Executive Promotions to Support Company Growth and Accelerate Value-Creation Initiatives
- Sports Stars Tim Brown and Everson Walls, Omni Frisco Hotel, and Ethos Education Group Partner for Student Success
- DFW & Surrounding Real Estate Agent Promotes Luxury Homes To MORE Buyers For MORE Money
- Back-to-School Supply Drive, Coca-Cola Bottlers' Sales & Services Company, LLC Donates Backpacks and Supplies to Students in Georgia, Florida, and Oklahoma
- Gov. Kemp: Georgia Shatters Investment and Job Records in FY22
- Aaron's Directors Declare Cash Dividend
- Diamond Bridal Gallery Celebrates Its 16th Anniversary
- Empower Community Care Invests in The Incredible Years®
- Jay Menger Awarded Prestigious "Premier Luxury Marketing Consultant" Certification
- Palos Verdes Real Estate Agent Promotes Luxury Homes To MORE Buyers For MORE Money
- Regent Surgical Health and Ascension Texas Joint Venture on The Orthopedic Surgery Center of Central Texas
- Gov. Kemp: WebstaurantStore Expands Operations in Georgia, Creates 213 New Jobs in Bryan County
- Arizona Pest Control To Support Local High School Sports And Education Programs
- FLEETCOR to Appeal Ruling in FTC Case