|Atlanta, GA - Today Governor Brian P. Kemp announced the availability of up to $6 million in emergency funding for more than 50 Georgia counties impacted by extensive flooding from multiple storms this spring. In partnership with the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT), this funding is being made available from GDOT's Local Grants Program.|
Following the series of damaging storms, on March 5, 2020, Governor Kemp signed an Executive Order declaring a State of Emergency for counties that had experienced extensive flooding. The Georgia Emergency Management and Homeland Security Agency (GEMA/HS) reached out to the declared counties to assess damages for potential assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Ultimately, the statewide damage assessment did not meet the required threshold for FEMA assistance; however, the localized damage in some areas was significant. With strong support from the State Transportation Board to aid local governments, GDOT reviewed the damage, made assessments, and worked to find funding to support those much-needed repairs.
More on Georgia Chron
"With so many Georgia counties impacted from the storms earlier this year, it was imperative the state act to support the emergency needs of our local counties and communities," said Governor Kemp. "Hardworking Georgians depend on reliable roads and bridges, and this emergency funding will help ensure safe passage now and in the future as Georgia reopens for business."
For the purpose of storm repairs, funding allocations were based on material costs such as pipes, culverts, and gravel for dirt roads, or a percentage of the contract cost associated with those repairs. Funding awarded will be in addition to any other local grants allocated to a local government. Eligible counties that reported roadway damage to GEMA/HS will receive correspondence directly from GDOT with information regarding how to access the funding.
"We are proud to provide this funding to help support the needs of these local communities,"said Tim Golden, chairman of the State Transportation Board. "It is always the goal of the Board and the Department to provide assistance when and where we can, particularly for those counties that have been hit so hard by these unexpected storms. We hope this funding helps them in these especially challenging times."
Latest on Georgia Chron
- R+M Development Closes on Refinance of Student Housing Project Amidst Pandemic
- Panel Built, Inc. Marks 25 Years of Modular Building!
- Teenage mariachi ensemble records album during pandemic, keeping social distancing guidelines
- Getman Takes his Popular Book Fairs into the Virtual World Transforming the Way Buyers Meet Sellers of Rare Books, Maps, Prints and Ephemera
- Teleroute, Part of Alpega Group, launches an API Interface and a new Mobile App to help their growing number of customers work even more efficiently
- One Caribbean TV Journalist Melissa Noel Leads the State of Tourism Panel Discussion Hosted by CACAF
- AI education technology company KSolve launches Kickstarter campaign
- Space Cadet Launches A Flower Sniffer's Book Of Paper Craft to Ward off Boredom Better Than Binging TV
- Robert Amaya (Courageous, Moms' Night Out) rounds out cast of 'The Farmer and The Belle: Saving Santaland'
- Launching OneQuantum LLC the Quantum Tech startup community
- OrPro Therapeutics Advances a New Inhalation Treatment Approach for COVID-19
- Georgia Power customers to see approximately $10 reduction in monthly summer bills
- Omy de Oro 'The King of Punchlines' signs with Caroline, becomes first Puerto Rican artist to release a solo dembow track 'Cash'
- NS4ed Customizes District Market Needs for Nebraska Schools
- CEO Coaching International Congratulates Fintech Startup Client Airfox on Acquisition by Retail Giant
- Natural Hair Salon Pivots Amid COVID-19 Crisis
- Uply Media, Inc Launches MortgageCalculators.Crypto World's First DWeb Mortgage Calculator
- Lilly Morgan Selected for Internship at Carriage Trade Public Relations®, Inc
- Home Depot's Michelle Livingstone Joins Rainbow Village Board of Directors
- Mencom introduce the new MIXO ONE series enclosures for single-sized MIXO modules