The Global Commerce Division supported the creation of 28,960 new jobs - generating more than $7.4 billion in investment through the location of 332 projects - while 399 productions filmed in Georgia resulted in a record $2.9 billion invested in the state.
"With record-breaking years in global commerce and film, Georgia leads the nation as the best state for business for the sixth straight year," said Governor Brian P. Kemp. "The Peach State remains the Hollywood of the South, and companies across the globe have Georgia on their minds as a great place to invest, expand, and relocate. I applaud our economic development team for their tireless efforts to ensure Georgia remains a leader in job growth and the standard for a pro-business environment."
GDEcD is the state's sales and marketing arm and the lead agency for attracting new business investment. The Department encourages the expansion of existing industry and small businesses by locating new markets for Georgia products, attracting tourists to Georgia, and promoting the state as a destination for arts, film, music, and digital entertainment projects. GDEcD is also primarily responsible for planning and mobilizing state resources for economic development.
More on Georgia Chron
- Greg Thomas Joins North Highland as Associate Vice President
- Paul Romer, Nobel Prize Recipient for Economic Sciences, joins Worldwide Speakers Group
- The Pet Gal Named One of Top Austin Area Women-Owned Businesses for 2018 Total Revenue
- New World Record Efficiency with Flexible CIGS Solar Cell
- Habitu8 Named Official Video Partner for National Cyber Security Awareness Month
The 332 projects located by the Global Commerce team in FY19 include new locations and existing industry expansions along with record-breaking investment ($7.4 billion) and 28,960 new jobs. Seventy-four percent of the total economic development announcements were outside of the Atlanta area. Industries with significant job growth in FY19 include FinTech, health IT, and manufacturing. Thirteen Korean projects represent the most jobs created as well as the highest investment percentage from a single country.
"Year after year, our team at the Georgia Department of Economic of Development works to secure Georgia's status as the No. 1 state for business," said GDEcD Commissioner Pat Wilson. "Today, we put the spotlight on our Global Commerce and Film Divisions, which both had incredible success during FY19."
In addition, Global Commerce's Entrepreneur and Small Business team connected with more than 1,600 individuals through presentations, outreach, and one-on-one meetings in FY19.
"Economic development is a team sport, and we wouldn't be as successful as we are without our economic development partners across the state," said GDEcD Deputy Commissioner for Global Commerce Scott McMurray. "I am proud of our team, and we look forward to the future of economic development in our state."
More on Georgia Chron
- Spreading Free Smiles: Dental Clinic. Costa Family & Cosmetic Dentistry
- Serial Entrepreneurs Belinda and Obinna Ndu Land Network Special On The 700 Club
- The Relevancy Group releases The Relevancy Ring 2019 Customer Data Platform (CDP) Buyer's Guide
- Rainbow Village Nominated as Community Contributor in Gwinnett Small Business Awards
- Pulte Homes Reveals New Model Home in Final Phase of The Paces at Providence
Georgia has quickly become one of the top filming locations in the world. 399 productions filmed in Georgia in FY19 included 26 feature films, 31 independent films, 214 television series, 91 commercials and 29 music videos. The FY19 spend is preliminary and expected to increase as productions finalize their numbers. In FY18, film and television productions spent $2.7 billion in Georgia.
"The entertainment industry has found a home in Georgia," said GDEcD Deputy Commissioner for Film, Music & Digital Entertainment Lee Thomas. "While the spotlight certainly shines on our competitive incentive, it is the Georgia-based skilled crew, diverse topography, available infrastructure, and the hundreds of small businesses that support our productions that keep us ranked as one of the top filming locations in the world."
Click here for a list of Georgia-lensed productions currently in theaters or set to premiere.
Latest on Georgia Chron
- Menke to present at the 2019 NCEO Fall ESOP Forum September 17 -18
- Wolfson Children's Hospital now offers pediatric cardiology at new children's specialty center
- Savannah Film Alliance Announces Eight Honorees for Upcoming Inaugural Gala
- Metro Atlanta Non-Profit organization holding 3rd Annual Workshop to equip Single Parents
- The Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel, in Tokyo's Hip Shibuya Neighborhood, Will Open Three New Restaurants in Late November 2019
- Work It, Mama: Gugu Guru, KIDBOX and Working Mother Launch "Back to Work" Baby Registry
- Sage IT Announces New Chief Delivery Officer
- Sage IT Announces New Chief Customer Officer
- IAOP Announces Its 2020 Awards Season
- Connected Real Estate Magazine Joins the 2019 PropTech Challenge as Silver Sponsor
- Triage Partners Integrates Incoming Quality Inspection (IQC) and Acceptable Quality Level (AQL) Testing in WipIT™ Software System
- Luigi's Original Cannoli Pie of Bridgeport, CT Receives Kosher Certification
- North Gwinnett HS Freshman Organizes Labor Day 5K Walk/Run Eagle Project
- Havas New York CEO Laura Maness to Provide Opening Keynote at USA-Central Europe Women in Business Summit
- T-Mobile Polska Selects Axiros To Improve Residential Digital Home Broadband Experience
- 227's™ YouTube Chili' #NIKE'Spicy' Boise State's Curtis Chili' Weaver 4 Sacks vs Portland State! AMAZING 24 sack season?! Spicy' NFL Spicy' NBA Mix!
- FYZICAL Savannah Therapy and Balance Center Spotlights National Fall Prevention Awareness Week
- First True American Football Boardgame, combining gaming with authentic football strategy
- Perfect Health Mela in October to have Health Modules of Asian countries
- Fighting Racism For One And For All, One Shirt at a Time!