- Free Future Legal Eagles Flight School National Pre-Law Summit for Black Youth and Parents Launches This Week
- Atlanta: Update on City Pools
- Prepare your child for the Olympics of Education
This project will include a capital investment of nearly $40 million by Coastal Electric and partner Darien Communications to build a fiber network that will be leased to the cooperative's broadband affiliate, Coastal Fiber, Inc., to provide retail broadband service, pending regulatory approval. The project will begin immediately with plans to complete phase one in four years, with the first customers connected as early as 2022.
"I am thankful to Coastal Electric Cooperative for stepping up to help hardworking Georgians gain access to new job opportunities, improved education tools, telemedicine, and much more," said Governor Kemp. "This project will allow thousands of Georgians to have access to reliable, high-speed internet—which is a fundamental part of continued growth. Signed into law in 2019, SB 2 continues to encourage EMCs and community leaders to work together to close the gap on the digital divide in our state."
"In a 21st century economy, the ability to access high-speed broadband is incredibly important, particularly in rural areas of our state," said PSC Commissioner Tim Echols. "At the Public Service Commission, we've made expanding broadband access a priority, and it's encouraging to see Coastal Electric and our state's EMCs continue to show leadership in this area."
"Our community deserves access to the tools that help our residents and businesses successfully participate in today's economy," State Rep. Al Williams said. "Thanks to Coastal Electric and Darien Communications for making broadband a reality in this area."
"Coastal Electric Cooperative and Darien Communications have once again proven their commitment to service by working together to bring high-speed internet to rural areas," said State Rep. Buddy Deloach. "Their leadership and dedicated employees continue to find ways to improve the lives of coastal Georgians."
"Today is truly an exciting day for our community," said Coastal Electric Cooperative CEO Chris Fettes. "This marks the beginning of a new era for our members who have long awaited high-speed internet service. The launch of Coastal Fiber, Inc. will finally make it possible for homes and businesses in this region to have access to critical broadband service."
In recent years, Georgia's EMCs have been pursuing solutions to help expand broadband access. Some, like Blue Ridge Mountain EMC and Habersham EMC, have created affiliates and are already providing high-speed service to members and many are exploring or have formed partnerships with broadband providers. In addition to today's news, other EMC partnerships and projects were announced recently by Amicalola EMC, Carroll EMC, Central Georgia EMC, Colquitt EMC, Diverse Power, Irwin EMC, Middle Georgia EMC, Satilla REMC, Southern Rivers Energy, Tri-County EMC and Washington EMC, resulting in expanded access for approximately 200,000 Georgia homes and businesses.
More on Georgia Chron
- Industry opportunities grow in Macon-Bibb with new medicinal cannabis cultivation and production facility
- Superhero Fans Wanted at Worthy One Store Shop Til You Drop
- Macon: Public Forums on changes to the Alcohol Code
- WestRock Announces Quarterly Dividend of $0.24 Per Share
- Innovative learning blasts into the future
Latest on Georgia Chron
- Ironside Human Resources Celebrates 10 Years
- Atlanta: Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms Issues Executive Order Requiring Mask Use in All Public Places While Indoors
- Moving Companies Struggle to Keep Up With High Demand: New Survey From moveBuddha.com Reveals
- Governor Kemp, Attorney General Carr Issue Statement on State's Response to DOJ Lawsuit Targeting Georgia's Election Integrity Act
- Vandi Lynnae Announces New Single 'Dancing Through The Rain'
- Georgia: ICYMI: Governor Kemp, First Lady Lead Efforts to Combat Crime, Criminal Street Gangs, and Human Trafficking
- Tru-Nut Releases New Keto Collagen Protein Powder at Publix Super Markets
- Fulvic Humic Acid for Gut Health from Age Immune
- LakePoint Sports to Put on Chevrolet Primetime Players Weekend, July 30-Aug. 1
- edjuster Partners with StaySafe to Deliver Workplace Safety Solutions to Lone Workers in Field Service Claims
- Duke Defense Expands Operations Beyond Byrna
- DS Smith Packaging Data: Business Sales Signal Consumer Shopping Surge for Home, Personal Care Goods and Alcohol
- IoT Leader KORE Announces Innovative Redemption Backstop Convertible Bond to Facilitate Public Listing
- Coca-Cola to Auction Its First-Ever NFT Collectibles on International Friendship Day
- Diabetes continues to be one of top causes of death in the United States
- RxSugar® Finds Sweet Success Following QVC® Appearances
- BronzeLens Returns As A Virtual Experience
- America's RV Warranty now offers RV insurance
- Lots of Tails Waggin' in Kansas City's West Bottoms First Friday Weekend
- DYSIS Announces New Compact and Portable Colposcope Design with Computer-Aided Cervical Mapping