- Gospel Charting Artist Jeremiah Nedu Is On The Rise With New Single "Your Mercy"
- Rent-A-Center opens store in Riverdale, Georgia
- Distinguished New York Trial Attorney and Author Donates Book Proceeds to NYU Cancer Research Center
"I am proud to announce that Georgia maintained our No. 5 market share rank for domestic overnight visitation in 2021, a critically important achievement for our state's economy and a testament to the competitiveness of our state's tourism industry," said Governor Kemp. "Because Georgia led the nation in a measured reopening, the leisure sector of our tourism economy continues to lead in rebounding, and our travel industry is well-positioned for future growth and success. I want to recognize our state tourism office for working with my administration to use relief funds I directed its way and generate the highest return on investment from tourism marketing in our state's recent history."
In 2021, Georgia travel and tourism generated a total economic impact of $64.5 billion and supported more than 422,600 jobs. The state welcomed nearly 159.6 million domestic and international visitors, resulting in $34.4 billion in visitor spending. While international visitation has been slower to return, domestic visitation has more than fully recovered to pre-pandemic levels, totaling 159.2 million overnight and day trips to and within Georgia in 2021. The tourism industry has also matched the $4.2 billion in state and local tax revenues it generated in 2019.
More on Georgia Chron
- InventHelp Inventor Develops New Game for Billiard Tables (FJK-158)
- Let's Finally Meet The Man That Fronts The Grammy Nominated Artist "Special Request Ft Rey T."
- Macon: Cadence Bank donates to Brookdale Resource Center
- Macon: Staff Spotlight: Robert McCord
- Georgia: Gov. Kemp Dedicates $240M for New Grant Program to Expand High-Speed Internet, Help Close Digital Divide
"The economic impact of tourism we have seen in the last year is evidence that travelers have Georgia on their minds and are ready to experience our unique, diverse and absolutely beautiful state," said GDEcD Commissioner Pat Wilson. "I applaud our Explore Georgia team members, Georgia Tourism Foundation Board of Directors, and tourism industry professionals throughout Georgia for inspiring travel to and within our state as well as generating increasing levels of economic impact. Their efforts are driving innovative strategies to further enhance Georgia's competitive position in the travel marketplace."
Explore Georgia's tourism recovery marketing campaign, "Ready. Set. Georgia.," has remained a key driver for visitation to and within the state since it launched in May 2021. The state destination marketing organization is utilizing a strategic approach to allocate funds from its federal Economic Development Administration (EDA) state tourism grant of $5.8 million, which was directed to Explore Georgia by Governor Kemp in September 2021, toward the campaign. The funds have been strategically divided over four consecutive years in a prolonged effort to strengthen the state's travel brand and open new markets for travel to Georgia. While managed as separate budgets, Explore Georgia combined state-appropriated funds with the EDA grant to maximize the campaign's paid media impact. Results from the May-September 2021 period prove that the approach was effective, as an independent SMARI Ad Effectiveness study showed the campaign influenced $27 million in state tax revenue with a tax return on investment (ROI) of $18, the largest on record over the six-plus year history of the study.
"Thanks to the leadership of Governor Kemp and our General Assembly, we were able to maintain in 2021 the No. 5 market share position that we earned in 2020," said GDEcD Deputy Commissioner for Tourism Mark Jaronski. "Despite the success Georgia has had in the domestic leisure segment, convention business and international travel remain well below where they were pre-pandemic. The challenge ahead of our industry is to grow all segments of travel and deliver exceptional visitor experiences to ensure that the increased demand that we have generated converts to repeat visitation in the future."
More on Georgia Chron
- Cape Cod Stone Joins SiteOne Landscape Supply
- Federal Defendants Acquitted of Conspiracy to Possess and Possession of 279 kilos of cocaine
- Macon: Football and cheerleading registration extended
- Macon: Preventing violence and guiding kids through Project 32
- Macon Mental Health Matters to hold Pop-Up Gym Saturday
The Georgia Governor's Tourism Conference serves to inspire excellence and elevate the state's tourism marketing efforts by providing attendees with access to world-class marketing strategies and insights from global experts and industry thought leaders.
High-resolution images from the 2022 Georgia Governor's Tourism Conference can be found here.
About Explore Georgia
Explore Georgia, the tourism division of the Georgia Department of Economic Development, is the state's official destination marketing organization. Through its home office in Atlanta, nine visitor information centers, and a network of representatives across the globe, Explore Georgia inspires travel to and within the state through marketing programs developed and executed in partnership with the state's travel industry. Despite COVID-19's impact on the travel industry, Georgia's tourism industry drove $64.5 billion in total economic impact and supported more than 422,600 jobs in 2021. Learn more at ExploreGeorgia.org.
The Georgia Department of Economic Development (GDEcD) is the state's sales and marketing arm, the lead agency for attracting new business investment, encouraging the expansion of existing industry and small businesses, locating new markets for Georgia products, attracting tourists to Georgia, and promoting the state as a destination for arts and location for film, music, and digital entertainment projects, as well as planning and mobilizing state resources for economic development. Visit Georgia.org for more information.
Latest on Georgia Chron
- Palos Verdes Real Estate Agent Promotes Luxury Homes To MORE Buyers For MORE Money
- Regent Surgical Health and Ascension Texas Joint Venture on The Orthopedic Surgery Center of Central Texas
- Gov. Kemp: WebstaurantStore Expands Operations in Georgia, Creates 213 New Jobs in Bryan County
- Arizona Pest Control To Support Local High School Sports And Education Programs
- FLEETCOR to Appeal Ruling in FTC Case
- Tina Modi, MBA, Joins BDC Advisors as Managing Director
- Grammy Award Winning Singer, Songwriter and Producer David Longoria Joins the List of Artists at VANC Fest 2022
- Citi Trends Sets Date for Second Quarter 2022 Earnings Release and Conference Call
- Positive Powerful Women Gather to Promote Unity in the Grand Canyon State
- Georgia: Gov. Kemp, Chancellor Perdue Announce Statewide Career Planning Resource Platform
- Serenity Movers Delivers First-Class Moving Services in NYC
- Rent-A-Center opens store in Riverdale, Georgia
- Local NJ Author Releases Debut Novel, Achieves Bestselling e-Book Status
- InventHelp Inventor Develops New Line of Snack Chips (KXX-345)
- CheckinAsyst® Named Category Leader for Patient Engagement Software
- Unprecedented Stress Levels Reveal Productivity Loss in the Billions; ASCEND Method Enters the Market
- Tech Luminary Adrian Cockcroft Joins OrionX as Partner
- Nomorobo Assists Urgent FCC and Carrier Efforts to Crack Down on Auto Warranty Scam Robocalls
- WestRock Partners With Budějovický Budvar and Mattoni 1873 to Advance Circularity Efforts in Czech Republic Beverage Industry
- Diedra Harrison-Greenaway launches new book titled: The Blueprint: A Guide Towards Cannabis Business Ownership