While repair work continues, damage assessment following widespread impacts from this storm is still in progress throughout Georgia and must be completed as an essential step to efficiently and effectively allocate resources. Additional challenges faced following the storm include downed trees and blocked roads that must be cleared.
Restoration progress since the beginning of the storm has been largely possible thanks to Georgia's advanced electric grid, which allows the company to reroute and restore power even when weather conditions prevent work in the field, as well as early work of crews. All of Georgia Power's teams are in the field today working to assess damage and restore power, including an additional 400 contract personnel.
Damage Update – As of 11:30 a.m. Sunday
- Power has been restored to over 112,000 Georgia Power customers across the state. There are approximately 11,000 Georgia Power customers currently without power. Approximately 420 cases of individual damage or trouble (including broken poles and lines) the company is working to repair. The majority of remaining outages are concentrated in the Rome, Cartersville, and Carrollton areas. Customers who are able to receive electric service in these heavily impacted areas can expect service to be restored by midnight tonight.
More on Georgia Chron
- Southern Company second-quarter earnings to be released July 30
- New Partner at Itero Group Signals Continued Growth
- Pan Atlantic Associates Unveils How a Pandemic Can Inform Your Business Model
- PanAtlantic Explains Using Technology to Propel Your Business
- Macon: Mayor issues Executive Order regarding measures to slow the spread of COVID-19
The company encourages customers to keep safety first following severe weather with the following tips:
- Watch for downed wires. Downed power lines may be hidden by debris or fallen trees. Never touch any downed wire or attempt to remove tree branches from power lines – it can kill. Don't step in standing water or saturated ground where downed lines may be present. They could be electrified. Avoid chain link fences. They may be electrified by a downed line out of sight and conduct electricity over great distances. Watch for Georgia Power crews working across the state. If driving, move over one lane for utility vehicles stopped on the side of the road – it's the law in Georgia.
Tools You Can Use
- Outage Alerts – Subscribe to the free Georgia Power Outage Alert service to receive personalized notifications and updates via text message. Outage & Storm Center – Available at www.georgiapower.com/storm, customers can visit this site to sign up for Outage Alerts, report and check the status of outages, and access useful safety tips and information. Customers can report and check the status of an outage 24 hours a day by contacting Georgia Power at 888-891-0938. Outage Map – Housed within the Outage & Storm Center, Georgia Power's interactive Outage Map provides near real-time information, allowing users to see where outages are occurring across the state and track estimated restoration times. Georgia Power Mobile App – Download the Georgia Power mobile app for Apple and Android devices to access storm and outage information on the go. @GeorgiaPower on Twitter – Follow @GeorgiaPower on Twitter for storm tips, outage updates, customer service and more.
More on Georgia Chron
- Travel + Leisure Readers give San Miguel De Allende a reason to Celebrate as it ranks in World's Best Awards
- MULTI-FUN project aims to enable multi-materials metal additive manufacturing for complex 3D parts without size constraints
- Jeb Carlisle Joins North Highland as Associate Vice President
- Sage Intacct Names Alta Vista Technology a Premier Partner
- Axiros AXESS ACS Enables UK ISP, Origin Broadband, With TR-069 Device Management Solution
About Georgia Power
Georgia Power is the largest electric subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), America's premier energy company. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the company's promise to 2.6 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Georgia Power focuses on delivering world-class service to its customers every day and the company is consistently recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as an industry leader in customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower), Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower) and Instagram (Instagram.com/ga_power).
SOURCE Georgia Power
Filed Under: Business
Latest on Georgia Chron
- Georgia: Residential Apartment Brand 'Common' to Establish Second Headquarters in Atlanta, Create 274 Jobs
- WJ Castle Awarded Underwater Inspection Contract from PEPCO Holdings
- Atlanta: Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms Extends Moratorium on Residential Evictions and Filings Due to COVID-19
- Over $10,000 Donated to Greater Bluffton Jasper County Volunteers in Medicine from Peacock Subaru
- Intermountain Healthcare Implements DeepThink Health's Precision Intelligence Solutions to Manage its Molecular Tumor Board
- Cure SMA Urges Remaining States to Expedite Adoption of Newborn Screening for Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Could this be the next Nike? Dionies Sportswear Looks to Crowdfunding for an Impressive Kickstart
- PowerOptions Expands Partnership with Solect Energy Through Large-Scale Solar and Storage Program
- Bay Area Health Provider Partners with Medicom Health to Lower Medication Cost for Patients
- Atlanta: Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms Creates Advisory Council to Focus on Youth Entrepreneurship
- Products On The Go is creating the most natural and nourishing products in the country
- Mahmood Khan and Willoughby Symphony crack the Billboard Charts
- NACCE Announces Multi-Year Partnership with the Philip E. and Carole R. Ratcliffe Foundation
- Pandemics and Forecasting: Seeing the Way Forward via the Taleb/Ioannidis Debate
- IPD announces special partnership with Maxiforce to expand product reach for its customers
- Rollins, Inc. Announces Second Quarter 2020 Business Update
- Overcoming Covid-19 Challenges: Alexander James Rodriguez Releases 'My Crew'
- Anritsu Partners with COMINT Consulting to Add Signals Intelligence Capability to Field Master Pro™ MS2090A RTSA
- Syncro's Next-Gen MSP Platform Sees Massive Growth in 2020
- Kemp Declares State of Emergency, Authorizes 1,000 Troops to Protect Georgians