The remarkable collaboration is leveraging relationships within houses of worship to facilitate safer, stronger, more just communities. Activities included forums, town halls, unity walks/marches, picnics, athletic events, vigils and other activities. Cities involved included New York, Dallas, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Denver, Boston and hundreds of others.
"For the past several years, we've seen enormous strains in the relationship between law enforcement and communities of color," said Rev. Markel Hutchins, lead organizer of the 2020 National Faith & Blue Weekend and CEO of MovementForward, Inc. "That is a direct result of social injustices and the blinders worn on multiple sides of policing issues. This is a collaborative initiative. We want to help everyone to see the humanity in each other."
More on Georgia Chron
- Awakening the Warrior Within and Giving Tools to Survive
- Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon Dr. Patti Flint now offering sought-after lip lift procedure
- Entrepreneur, Investor Signs $100,000 Contract With Hotel To Host First Female Founders Pitch Summit Despite Pandemic
- New Partnership Aims to Create COVID-Safe Zones for Return to Work, Travel, Conferences and Live Events
- Studica Celebrates 35 Years in Business
Rev. Hutchins opposes movements to "defund the police", saying communities in need of effective, equitable policing would be hurt the most. "Actually, we need more funding for law enforcement professionals so we can recruit better quality officers and improve their training," he said. Citing Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s approach, Rev. Hutchins said law enforcement and residents must "recognize the commonalities of our interests'' and work together.
The Faith & Blue movement is supported by major law enforcement groups, including the International Association of Chiefs of Police, National Sheriff's Association, National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives, Hispanic American Police Command Officers Association and Fraternal Order of Police. The U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security are also partnering in the effort. Corporate sponsors include FirstNet Built with AT&T, Wrap Technologies and the Motorola Solutions Foundation.
More on Georgia Chron
- Candid Expands Western US Technology Practice, Hires RJ Jafarkhani as Chief Architect - US West
- Geoff Bryce Named President of SOICA
- OSM Worldwide Announces New Atlanta Facility
- Technical College System of Georgia Awarded Additional $13 million in Dislocated Worker Relief Funding
- Rainbow Village "We Are Family" Benefit Gala Gets New Name and Venue for 2020
"Finding common ground and ensuring justice for all starts with collaborative and respectful communication…" said Jason Porter, senior vice president, FirstNet Program at AT&T. "Through its mission focus and highly diverse group of faith-based and policing organization leaders, this initiative is laser focused on facilitating positive and actionable community relations between citizens and law enforcement…it's our honor to support this grassroots effort to strengthen police-community relations in neighborhoods across the country."
Michael K. Frisby
[email protected] 202-625-4328
SOURCE MovementForward, Inc.
Filed Under: Business
Latest on Georgia Chron
- FocalPoint Welcomes Certified Business Coach Jason Goldberg
- Atlanta: Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms Creates Anti-Displacement Tax Fund to Strengthen Homeownership for Legacy Residents
- Alfred Street Baptist Church Donates Over $ 1 Million to Community-Based Organizations & National Nonprofits Through Their Tithe the Tithe Initiative
- Boys & Girls Clubs Of America To Host Racial Equity & Social Justice Virtual Town Hall Tuesday
- Buy Website Traffic - Get Targeted Quality Traffic - Real Human Website Traffic
- Carter's, Inc. to Report Third Quarter Fiscal 2020 Results on Friday, October 23, 2020
- Brushwood Media Group Presents "Awaken with Tim & Shannon"
- National School Bus Safety Week (Oct. 19–23) Promotes Safety Aspects of Yellow School Bus
- PicPocket-Labs, Inc. receives Notice of Allowance for US and Chinese patent applications for geofence-based drone control
- Joe Biden Accepted Money from China & Russia It's true
- ITC2 Announces the Appointment of IT Industry Leader, Carol Kelly, to Vice President of Operations and Service Delivery
- AutoQuotes Opens New Office in Atlanta
- Local Health Center to Host Pop-up Halloween Flu Vaccine Clinic
- Whitechapel Holdings Launches PPE Website
- Trump Is an 87% Favorite if Dow above 28,052 on Election Day
- AGCO Names Louisa Parker-Smith Director of Global Sustainability
- Most Dekalb Parents Want a Safe Plan for School Reopening
- Georgia: Gov. Kemp Extends COVID-19 Order
- Voter Suppression Antidote: "Grab 'em by the Postcard" Online Campaign Launches
- 9th Annual PINK FROG AFFAIR Returns to Benefit Breast Cancer Patients